As a radiologist you are going to spend most of your time interacting with computers. In a recent study they found that on any working day (8 hr. shift) had a mouse travel of 2.2 km (1.37 miles)! Conventional mice are meant for single screen monitors and for basic tasks. Radiologists need to move their mice across multiple screens. They also have different scrolling needs to scan large image DICOM sets on PACS.
I have been using my personal mice for more than 5 years now and I will NEVER go back to using a conventional mouse for radiology reporting.
Here are my top recommendations for mice for radiologists based on my personal use, research from various online platforms (Reddit, Facebook groups) and my discussions with other radiology colleagues:
Best Wired Gaming Mouse for Radiologists (With Programmable Buttons):
Although initially I used the wireless G502, I now prefer the G600 as it has more buttons. Plus, because it is wired, you do not have to worry about losing the Bluetooth receiver, especially if you work at different hospitals/clinics. The length of the cable is long enough for most regular sized radiology workstations. I have never had any issue any of my workstations.
- 20 MMO tuned buttons: Includes unique 12 button thumb panel designed for quick, no look navigation; The low friction polytetrafluoroethylene feet eliminate friction on nearly any surface for smoother motions, precise cursor movements and improved accuracy
- G shift ring finger button: Instantly double the number of actions you can perform with every button. PTFE Feet: 250-km range. Onboard memory: 1 profile
- Built for comfort: Sculpted shape and tuned buttons reduce click fatigue during marathon multiplayer sessions; G8 cycle modes
- Total personalization: Set it up your way with customizable thumb panel lighting colors, DPI levels or button assignments; Do not use a USB hub
- Made for PC gaming: Compatible with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8
Best Bluetooth Gaming Mouse for Radiologists (With Programmable Buttons):
- Hero 25K sensor through a software update from G HUB, this upgrade is free to all players: Our most advanced, with 1:1 tracking, 400-plus ips, and 100 – 25,600 max dpi sensitivity plus zero smoothing, filtering, or acceleration
- 11 customizable buttons and onboard memory: Assign custom commands to the buttons and save up to five ready to play profiles directly to the mouse
- Adjustable weight system: Arrange up to five removable 3.6 grams weights inside the mouse for personalized weight and balance tuning
- Programmable RGB Lighting and Lightsync technology: Customize lighting from nearly 16.8 million colors to match your team’s colors, sport your own or sync colors with other Logitech G gear
- Mechanical switch button tensioning: Metal spring tensioning system and pivot hinges are built into left and right gaming mouse buttons for a crisp, clean click feel with rapid click feedback
Both these mice are programmable via Logitech’s proprietary software and have an on-board memory. This means that you can set specific functions for each of the buttons, and these will work on ALL workstations. You will not have to program these for individual workstations again. If you want a tutorial for setting up a programmable mouse for radiology, let me know in the comments below.
Best General Mouse for Radiologists (No programmable buttons)
- Any-surface tracking – now 8K DPI: Use MX Master 3S cordless computer mouse to work on any surface – even glass (1) – with the upgraded 8000 DPI sensor with customizable sensitivity
- Introducing quiet clicks: MX Master 3S Bluetooth mouse introduces Quiet Clicks – offering the same satisfying feel but with 90% less click noise (2). Sensor Technology: Darkfield high precision
- Magspeed scrolling: A computer mouse with remarkable speed, precision, and near silence – MagSpeed scrolling is 90% faster (3), 87% more precise (4), and ultra quiet
- Ergonomic design: Work comfortably with a precision mouse featuring a silhouette crafted for a more natural wrist posture and optimally placed thumb controls
- Upgraded customization software: Customize buttons and optimize your workflow with App specific profiles in the improved Logi Options+ (5)
Best Cheap Mouse for Radiologists (for General Work)
- Compact Mouse: With a comfortable and contoured shape, this Logitech ambidextrous wireless mouse feels great in either right or left hand and is far superior to a touchpad
- Durable and Reliable: This USB wireless mouse features a line-by-line scroll wheel; up to 1 year of battery life (2) thanks to a smart sleep mode function, and comes with the included AA battery
- Universal Compatibility: Your Logitech mouse works with your Windows PC, Mac, or laptop, so no matter what type of computer you own today or buy tomorrow your mouse will be compatible
- Plug and Play Simplicity: Just plug in the tiny nano USB receiver and start working in seconds with a strong, reliable connection to your wireless computer mouse up to 33 feet / 10 m (5)
- Better than touchpad: Get more done by adding M185 to your laptop; according to a recent study, laptop users who chose this mouse over a touchpad were 50% more productive (3) and worked 30% faster (4)
In my not-so-scientific poll on Twitter, the MX-Master was the winner.
A few other suggestions from Twitterati:
- Razer Naga Pro (@donnypedrad)
- Logitech G604 wireless (@SivaGaddam)
- LogitechG G903 (@DanChondeMD)
- Razer Naga Trinity and Razer Naga X (@XR_CT_US_MR_NM)
I found this cheap USB splitter handy as it is difficult to reach the back side of Radiology workstation CPUs. Just plug in your USB microphone/Bluetooth receiver and other USB cables and use the available port in the front for all connections.
- 【USB3.0 high-speed transmission】USB3.0 provides 5Gbps transmission broadband. The peak transmission rate of USB2.0 is 480Mbps. The maximum transmission rate of USB1.1 is 12Mbps. 3.0 is 10 times that of 2.0
- 【Material】 ABS material, good heat dissipation, using classic aluminum alloy high-grade design + ABS plastic shell sandblasting process, effectively speed up product heat dissipation, more stable transmission
- 【Simple And Compact】 solid shape, stable plug, fine technology, good performance, strictly grasp the simple design concept, small and outstanding, simple and easy to carry, very suitable for going out to work.
- 【Scope of Application】 suitable for desktop computers and laptops, support hot swap, low power consumption, can read portable device materials, such as mobile phone / MP3 / MP4 / PDA and digital camera.
- 【Compatible with Multiple Systems】 compatible with various mainstream operating systems on the market (windows 98se / me / 2000 / XP / win7 / Mac OS 9.0 or above), no need to install drivers.