Radiology Volume Calculator
3- dimensional volume measurements are far superior to 2- dimensional measurements as anatomical and pathological structures can have one dimension skewed. For eg. A tumor can be small in the axial dimensions but can be oblong giving rise to a larger volume than what would have been estimated using two dimensions. These volume measurements are also ideal for follow up of tumors post-treatment as these tend to have irregular shapes.
Although direct volumetric measurements are ideal, this may not be feasible in all cases as it is time-consuming. Volume calculations are a good alternative. That said volume may not be feasible in all conditions are a single-dimension can also be useful.
The generic formula for calculating volume on ultrasound / CT / MRI is length x breadth x height x 0.523, which assumes that most structures are ellipsoid (like an ellipsoid). A few modifications of these formulae have been developed which have been integrated into the above formula. The above calculator has formulae for calculating the following:
- Generic volume (for abscesses, collections, mass lesions, etc which have a somewhat ellipsoid shape)
- Bladder volume calculator (pre and post-void volumes).
- Prostate volume calculator
- Thyroid volume calculator
- Testicular volume calculator.
- Renal volume calculator: Especially important in ADPKD patients. Read this article to find out why: ADPKD : What else the radiologist MUST report!
For prostate volume the bullet shape formula is found to be more accurate as compared to the ellipsoid formula however, PIRADS 2.1 still recommends the ellipsoid formula so we have kept it the same.
Also, do read our article on normal radiological measurements and reference values:
- Improving ultrasound-based prostate volume estimation
- Testicular volume measurement: comparison of ultrasonography, orchidometry, and water displacement.
- A simple method to estimate renal volume from computed tomography
- Thyroid Volume and Its Relation to Anthropometric Measures in a Healthy Cuban Population